Some of you may be thinking, “renovating a home isn’t that difficult” or “If I can’t do the work I’ll just find someone to do it for me”, well in our experience in running both an apartment investment firm along with a property management company if there is one thing that we have learned its that you need to build out a team that you can trust. I can’t even begin to talk about how many clients “beat up” vendors over pennies only to delay the project and cost them several month’s rent. Its not that Tampa property managers shouldn’t keep their vendors honest, but rather we recommend building the relationship over time. Just as we are trying out the vendor, the contractor is trying us out as well. How are we to work with as a client and are we someone that they want to devote energy and potentially lose profitability to in the future by discounting their services? Regardless of how you build out your team here in greater Tampa Bay, here is a list of the top 5 companies that we recommend to have in your back pocket.
- A go to handyman or small contractor with a couple of licenses. Here in Hillsborough County handymen are very limited to exactly what they can do so if possible we recommend finding a smaller contracting firm that can grow with you and your portfolio. This can build loyalty to each other and can significantly help you in finding the additional services needed to complete rehabs.
- A dumpster delivery and removal company. We highly recommend going this route vs a junk removal company as you can often times rent a dumpster for around $200 and can pay your handyman to demo whatever you need. If you use one of the “pay for what you fill” trucks you are overpaying.
- A good cleaning firm. Ideally one that can do both internal as well as external cleaning. Why outsource everything when you can call one company to clean post rehab, seal grout, pressure wash, etc.
- A smaller material store. What I mean by this is an outlet where you can find any raw materials, refurbished appliances, etc. Being able to source products locally and affordably is key to any renovation.
- A good locksmith. Having a fast, inexpensive, and responsive locksmith is absolutely essential especially when you are renovating post tenant move-out.
While there are several other important members to have as apart of your go-to renovation team, why spend the years working through and building this yourself? Why not hire a property to manage your rental turns, upgrades, and ultimately your leasing and management? Why not let us leverage our size, volume of work, and sphere to get you the best deal and job when it comes to renovating your Tampa rental properties? Call us today to learn how we can help expedite this process for you and why we are truly the Leaders in property management. 813-445-8280
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.